July 3, 2017

I Scored 5 Nights At A Marriott Property for $85 In Cape Town South Africa - Protea Hotel Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge

​It caught me by surprise when I saw a Marriott property in Cape Town South Africa "Protea Hotel Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge" that is only a category 2 hotel. That means I can redeem Marriott points to stay there, which costs merely 10,000 points per night. To sweeten the deal even more with this low redemption, as a Marriott Rewards Member, when you redeem 5 nights on points, the fifth night is free. So I decided to stay at that property for 5 nights on points for my upcoming trip to Cape Town in South Africa. The total stay costs me 40,000 Marriott points. That is only $85 as those Marriott points were earned from getting the Marriott Credit Card  that offers 80,000 Marriott Bonus Points early this year with the annual fee of $85. I even have some Marriott points left for other uses. The regular non-refundable rate of this hotel is $255 USD per night before tax for the dates that I want. So 5 night stays would have costed me $1,238 USD including tax. Ouch and no thanks if I were to pay for the stays there.

Protea Hotel Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge's Exterior Photo
Courtesy of Marriott
Marriott stay redemption isn't usual my favorite because it requires too many points for one night stay and their lower category tend to be not within walking distance to major attraction sites. That's why I'm surprised to see the Protea Hotel Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge by Marriott is only a category 2 property in Cape Town.

The location of this property is outstanding. The property is only 5 mins walk to the V&A shopping mall waterfront, which is a safe tourist area recommended by traveler's on TripAdvisor to explore and sight see. It's close to many restaurants and tour activities such as the ferry to the Robben Island. The hotel itself has mixed reviews on TripAdvisor and the standard rooms that are allowed for points redemption look small, but the reviews all said excellent location. I have Gold Status with Marriott and did request an upgrade to a nicer room if available upon check in. I won't have full review on this until I complete my trip to South Africa, but from what I know this is a property that falls under Marriott chain, and therefore I should expect the Marriott standards that I value such as conformable bed, nice pillow, good customer service, and especially reliable WiFi as I work remotely from the hotel. The hotel also offers airport shuttle with a fee which I plan on using. All in all, it looks like a decent hotel for a comfortable night stay and the location is fantastic. Moreover, Marriott properties outside of USA typically impress me more than the ones in the USA.

I'm pretty excited when I can travel far with small money. I'm also glad to see Marriott has such a low category hotel on points at a great location of waterfront in great destination - Cape Town.


If you enjoyed reading this post, sign up to receive free blog posts on travels via email here or like our Facebook Page. We greatly appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment