February 6, 2017

Retention Up to 16,000 Hilton Points Offer: Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card

I have been holding the Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card for little over a year now. I had this card back in July of 2015 and because this card has no annual fee, I kind of forgot about it in 2016. I have been reviewing my credit card strategy for 2017 and it strikes me the thought that why am I keeping this card in my portfolio?


It's great that Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card has no annual fee. I don't mind keeping it to accrue Hilton points to keep my Hilton points from expiring. But the thing is, Citi has 24 months rule for consumers to earn the sign up bonus again. In other words, if I cancel my card now, I'll be eligible to earn the big sign up bonus Hilton points of this card again after 2 years if Citi still issues it.

I hardly use that card to earn Hilton points unless I am staying at the Hilton hotels. It earns 6 points per $1 spent at Hilton hotels. For the day-to-day expenses, it earn 3 points per $1 spent at supermarkets, drugstore, and gas stations. 2 points per $1 spent everywhere else. Don't get me wrong, the points earning rate is really good, but I just don't value Hilton points that high and I have better cards to use to accrue flexible points rather than specific program's points.

With all that thinking, I decided to call Citi up and told them that I was considering to close my card and see if they provide any retention offers to help me make a better decision whether to keep it open or close it. The customer service rep gave me a retention offer that she thought was the best:
  • Each billing cycle (up to 16 billing cycles), if I put $1,000 or more on the card, I'll earn 1,000 bonus Hilton points on top of the usual points that I'll be earning while using the card. So that is a total of up to 16,000 bonus Hilton points. 
I asked if there's any other offer, she provided me with another offer:
  • For the next 3 months, if I spend $1,500 or more on the card, I'll receive 5,000 bonus Hilton points.
Those are the two offers she had for me. Decision, decision....

Decision
I decided to pick the first offer. The opportunity to earn up to 16,000 Hilton points in addition is great.  This is the only Hilton card that I have. Hilton also make some changes to its program, so I am looking forward to see what the future Hilton program will bring. Since this card has no annual fee, I'll be gladly to keep it little bit longer to keep my credit age good and to accrue points when needed to keep my Hilton points from expiring. Moreover, my Hilton Diamond status is expiring next year 2018 and this card automatically gives Hilton Silver status. So if I cannot maintain Diamond status, at least I'll still have Silver status that allows me to receive every 5th night free on Standard Room Reward stays of 5 nights or more. The regular member does not have this benefit.

Never missed an offer again! 
Sign up to receive free blog posts via email here
Like us on Facebook Page
Follow us on Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment